Volla Phone 22 is a 6.3 inch smartphone powered by MediaTek Helio G85 processor which emphasizes privacy and runs either Ubuntu Touch from UBPorts, Volla OS Android fork without Google Play Services or Apps (YouTube, Gmail, etc.), or others operating via a multi-boot.
Hardware-wise, the Volla Phone 22 is a mid-range smartphone with 4GB of RAM, 128GB of storage, and it also comes with features not found on newer smartphones, including a hot swappable battery. user, a 3.5 mm audio jack and a microSD card. plug.
Volla Phone 22 Specifications:
- SoC – Octa-core Mediatek Helio G85 processor with Arm Cortex-A75 cores at 2.0 GHz, Cortex-A55 cores at 1.8 GHz, Arm Mali-G52 MC2 GPU up to 1.0 GHz
- System Memory – 4GB RAM
- Storage – 128GB eMMC flash, microSD card slot
- Display – 6.3 inch Full HD display with 410 ppi pixel density.
- Audio – 3.5mm jack, built-in microphone and speaker
- Rear Cameras – 48 MP PDAF + 8 MP AF ultra wide angle and macro cameras.
- 16 megapixel front camera
- Cellular with 2x nano-SIM cards
- GSM 2G – 850/900/1800/1900
- UMTS 3G – 900 / 2100
- 4G TDD/LTE – 2300 / 2600
- 4G FDD/LTE – 700/800/850/900/1800/2100/2600
- Important: These are suitable for Europe, but you may want to check if they work with your operator in other countries.
- Dual-band Wi-Fi 5 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5.0
- GNSS – A-GPS, GPS, Glonass, Galileo.
- Cellular with 2x nano-SIM cards
- USB – 1 USB 2.0 OTG Type-C,
- Sensors – Fingerprint, Location, Proximity, Brightness, Compass, Gyroscope
- Battery – 4500 mAh battery for up to 350 hours of standby time.
- Dimensions – 157.5 x 75 x 10.4mm
- Weight – 210 grams
The default OS – Volla OS – is a fork of AOSP without any Google apps or services, which means no Google Play, YouTube, Gmail, Google Maps, etc. Instead, the OS offers a customizable user interface, comes with the Signal encrypted messaging app, firewall, app locker, optional no-log VPN from Hide.me, and Moreover.
Another option is Ubuntu Touch, developed in conjunction with the UBPorts Foundation and aimed at users who prefer a Linux-based operating system. Source code for Volla OS and Ubuntu Touch can be found on the company’s Github account.
Finally, multi-booting is possible with a high capacity microSD card on which you can install Ubuntu Touch, while keeping Volla OS on the eMMC flash, and other operating systems such as Sailfish OS, Droidian, Manjaro, etc. …
Note that this isn’t the first time a company has released a phone with an OS without Google, and the e.Foundation is selling refurbished phones running /e/ Android OS, or alternatively, you can install / e/OS on your phone if supported (Note: only stable versions should be considered for daily use).
Volla Phone 22 has just been launched on Kickstarter with a funding goal of 10,000 euros. Rewards start at 398 euros (about US$428) for the phone with an instruction manual and a USB-C cable for data and charging. The smartphone is only available in a few countries with the European Union, United Kingdom, United States, Canada and Australia, and the shipping costs vary from 16 to 46 euros. Rewards are expected to ship in July 2022 shortly after the crowdfunding campaign ends.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 on a part-time basis, before stepping down as Director of Software Engineering and starting writing daily news and reviews full-time later in 2011.