What if you’re in the middle of some urgent work on your laptop or PC, and unfortunately your keyboard, mouse, or trackpad stops working? To make matters worse, you don’t have a spare immediately available, but what you do have is your Android smartphone. Luckily, the same phone can be used as a wireless mouse, trackpad, or keyboard in such situations.
We will talk about an application called Remote Mouse in this tutorial. It is a free application that provides all the aforementioned features. The best part is that it has a simple setup process that barely takes a few seconds.
To note: The following tutorial talks specifically about Android and PC but it can also be followed if you have an iOS, Mac or even Linux device.
Use the Android phone as a wireless mouse, trackpad or keyboard:
- Download and install Remote Mouse app on your Android phone and its server tool on your PC.
- Launch both apps on their respective devices and make sure both are connected to the same WiFi network.
- The Android app will display your PC’s name on the screen. Tap it to establish a connection between the two devices.
- This is the user interface that you will get once the connection is established. The whole green colored area is your virtual trackpad.
- Tap the icons on the white bar to access different modes: media player buttons, desktop application shortcuts, web browser navigation, keyboard and additional PC keyboard keys.
The touchpad area supports various gestures that help you perform different mouse-related tasks. For example: single-finger tap is left-click, two-finger tap is right-click, two-finger scroll is for page scrolling, and double-tap, hold and drag is for select and move files.
The Remote Mouse app supports account creation if you want all your paired devices and platforms to be synced. It has a paid plan called Remote Mouse Pro which comes with a 7-day free trial and then costs around a dollar a month.
It offers an ad-free experience as well as access to all the modes we mentioned in step five and a few more advanced controls. You don’t need to pay if you just want to use the basic mouse, trackpad and keyboard functionality.