Communication is an important part of the competitive game. Your skills won’t matter as much if you can’t function with and communicate with your team. If you are playing with friends, there can also be a lot of banter during the game, which means that it can be beneficial to use a secondary platform instead of the voice chat feature of your favorite game, s ‘he even has one.
In the early days of online gaming, gamers used programs like Ventrilo, Mumble, Skype, and eventually Discord. While all other voice chat solutions continued to exist after Discord’s debut, they were simply blown out of the water. Discord finally found the winning formula and worked on all the shortcomings of its competition to become the go-to voice chat program for gamers.
The majority of gamers have probably installed Discord on their favorite gaming devices. If you’ve just been invited to Discord and it’s the first time you’ve heard of it, you might have questions on how to download the app.
Regardless of your platform, downloading Discord should only take a few minutes, but you’ll also need to create an account with an email to start using it.
Here’s how to download Discord on all devices.
How to download Discord on a PC
To download Discord on a PC, you will need to:
- Go to the official Discord website.
- Click the Download button to install the installation file.
- Run the installation file you just downloaded.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the installer.
- Once the installer is complete, Discord will be ready to launch.
How to Download Discord on a Mac
Installing Discord on a Mac is quite similar to how it’s done on a PC.
- Open the official Discord site.
- Click Download for Mac.
- A .dmg installation file will begin to download.
- Once the download is complete, launch the installer file and follow the steps.
- If this is your first time installing a third-party program on a Mac, you will need to perform some manual steps, such as dragging the logo shown during installation to your application folder. MacOS will guide you through this process.
- Discord should appear in your Applications folder after the installation process is complete.
How to Download Discord on Android Devices
Since most phones come with apps preinstalled these days, there might be a greater majority who have never had to install an extra app on their phones or tablets.
Discord is considered an app on mobile devices, and users will need to install it on their devices like any other app on the market.
To install Discord on an Android device:
- Open the Google Play Store tab or click here.
- On the Play Store, type Discord.
- Click Install and Discord should install on your device in a minute or two.
How to Download Discord on iPhone and iPad
Like Android users, players on Apple devices will also need to download Discord like a normal app.
- Go to the App Store or click here.
- Type Discord in the search bar.
- Click the download button and Discord will install shortly on your iPhone or iPad.
How to Download Discord on Linux
Installing Discord on Linux systems is also relatively straightforward since the voice chat application is compatible with the operating system. Once you head to the official Discord site, it should automatically detect that you are on a Linux device and offer you appropriate installation options.
Alternatively, you can also try using the Ubuntu Software Center and search for Discord, which will be under the Social category.
If you want to get yourself out of trouble, you can also try the web version of Discord which allows gamers to have full access to most of Discord’s key features through a web browser.
Go to the official Discord website and choose “Open Discord” in your browser to sign in to your account without downloading Discord.
Can you download Discord on Xbox and PlayStation?
Most voice chat programs were not available on console platforms, as most consoles have their own solutions. Players on PlayStation and Xbox can easily call their friends, which means they might not even need Discord. However, considering the number of cross-platform games in the market, the number of console gamers teaming up with PC gamers is growing every day.
While Xbox gamers have access to Discord, its functionality will be limited compared to its PC version. On the other hand, PlayStation gamers cannot download or use Discord on their gaming devices.
The wait for PS5 players might not be that long, however, as Sony and Discord signed a partnership in May 2021. With the two key players working together, Discord is also expected to be available on PS5 in the near future.
If Discord doesn’t seem to work properly on your console during your gaming sessions, you’ll have no choice but to use the voice chat feature in the game of the title you’re playing.
Some gamers also use their phones to connect to Discord, but this may cause you to hear less sound in-game, which can be a competitive disadvantage in some titles.
Once you create a Discord account on one of the available platforms, you will be able to use it on all your gaming devices. From consoles to mobile devices, the same email and password will suffice, allowing users to players to stay up to date with their friends, no matter what platform they are online on.