Minecraft is the best-selling game of all time. Part of its popularity comes from the nearly limitless things you can do in the game. Mods expand Minecraft’s reach even further, and several mods include hundreds of additional hours of gameplay.
This guide will show you how to download and install Minecraft mods on PC, Mac, iPhone, Android and console.
Mods are extensions that add content to the game, modify it, or both. There are hundreds of community-created mods, many of which have been combined into incredibly complicated mod packs that can add hundreds of hours of gameplay.
For example, some of the most popular mod packs turn Minecraft into an adventure game, while others expand crafting potential, allowing players to expand massive factories and automate crafting.
Other mods like OptiFine have been developed to improve and optimize the graphics quality of Minecraft to increase in-game performance. You can easily install mods like OptiFine without using any third-party apps.
We recommend getting your hands on the Java Edition because Mojang has declined to support community mods on the Bedrock Edition.
Minecraft: Java Edition has many mods available and is the easiest version to mod. The downside is that it’s only available on PC, Mac, and Linux.
The most popular method for modding on Java Edition is to use the third-party modding program To forge. We’ll see how you can manually install individual mods, but installing mod packs through Forge takes all the work out of the process and means that each mod has been thoroughly optimized against each other so you know they are compatible.
Forge is an application programming interface (API) that allows mods to interact with Minecraft. For most mods, Minecraft Forge is required to run them.
- Download the recommended version of Forge from the official site and complete the installation.
- Download the mods you want from a trusted source. The best location is CurseForge, a repository of mods and mod packs. The two best alternatives are To the pitcherwhich also has many mods, and technicalwhich still contains many packs for older versions of Minecraft.
- Hurry windows key + R to open Run.
- Type %application data% and press enter.
- Double click on the .Minecraft case.
- Right-click anywhere in the folder and select New > Case. Name it mods.
- Move your downloaded mod to the mods folder.
CurseForge has its own version of the Minecraft launcher. If you use the CurseForge Launcher, you won’t need to install Forge separately, as it will handle the process. You can use the CurseForge launcher to find and install the best Minecraft mods and mod packs.
The CurseForge launcher is available on Windows and macOS and is the easiest way to manage Forge mod packs on Minecraft.
To use the CurseForge launcher:
- Download the launcher from official site and install it.
- Open the CurseForge launcher.
- Select the Browse modpacks tongue.
- Click on Install next to the mod pack you want to install.
- Select the My modpacks once the installation is complete and click on Cheek.
The easiest way to download Minecraft mods on a Mac is to use the CurseForge launcher as above. To manually install mods, the process is the same as Windows, except for the mods folder should be created at:
You can quickly access this folder by pressing Ordered + Change + g.
Unfortunately, mods do not exist for the console version of Minecraft (Minecraft: Bedrock Edition). Instead, console players can access Marketplace add-ons. These add-ons aren’t free and are limited to skin and texture packs that let you change the way things look in-game.
To download add-ons:
- To throw Minecraft and select Market from the main menu.
- Choose the skin pack, mash-up pack, world or texture pack you want.
- Buy it with Minecoins or credit card.
- To apply the add-on to a world, open the World Settings and select Behavior Package or Resource Kit and activate your add-on.
To note: There are older methods for adding community-created mods to the Xbox One version of Minecraft. However, Microsoft constantly fixes these methods so that they no longer work.
Installing mods on Android or iPhone is relatively easy these days. However, you must use a third-party mod installer, there are very few mods and the ones that do exist are very restricted. Minecraft PE includes a marketplace with several add-ons similar to the console version.
To note: To install third-party mods using a mod installer, you must have the latest version of Minecraft installed.
To download mods on Android:
- Open the Google Play Store and download block launcher. This is similar to Forge for Java Edition and helps integrating mods into Minecraft: PE.
- Go back to Google Play Store and install Mods for Minecraft PE. This application allows you to browse and install various mods.
- To open Mods for Minecraft PE, then download the mod you want to play.
Then all you have to do is use BlockLauncher to import the mod into Minecraft. Do this:
- Open Minecraft.
- To select Manage ModPE scripts in the BlockLauncher menu.
- To select Import.
- Faucet Local storage > To download.
- Select your mod and press Import.
The mod should now be applied to your Minecraft app.
To download mods on iOS:
- Open the iOS app store and download Mods for Minecraft PE.
- Browse the app for the mod you want to play and select Install.
To note: Keep in mind that since these mods are community-created and Minecraft is constantly patched, many may break or stop working after installation.
With this tutorial you will be able to download and install mods for any platform that allows Minecraft mods to work. New mods and mod packs are released every year, so keep an eye out. The hard part will be knowing which mod packs to install!