Microsoft has released Windows 10 update KB5009596 for versions 21H2, 21H1, 20H2 and 2004 as an optional January update for 2022. The update comes with versions 19044.1503, 19043.1503, 19042.1503, 19041.1503 for respective versions.
Windows 10 gets new “Sync your settings” and “Microsoft Edge profile selection from news and interests” features with the update. KB5009596 update fixes issues with surround sound and Bluetooth devices. It also adds a reminder about IE11 retirement. Here are the highlights provided by Microsoft for the KB5009596 update.
Check out the full changelog for Windows 10 KB5009596 update below.
This non-security update includes quality improvements. The main changes include:
- Addresses an issue in Microsoft UI Automation that could prevent Microsoft Outlook from working.
- Updates DST to start in February 2022 instead of March 2022 in Jordan.
- Addresses an issue that prevents the Windows Subsystem for Linux 2 (WSL2) localhost relay from starting when you enable fast startup.
- Add parameters that pass to wmic.exe in telemetry to capture additional usage data to troubleshoot app compatibility issues.
- Solves a problem in CLSID_InternetExplorer.
- Adds a reminder to Internet Explorer 11 that notifies users of its upcoming retirement.
- Addresses an issue that may sometimes prevent Japanese Microsoft Office applications from working when using the new Japanese Input Method Editor (IME).
- Addresses an issue that prevents applications from working when typing text using the Chinese IME.
- Fixes an issue that may cause Windows to stop working when you use the Pen Haptics API.
- Updates the phone number for Windows activation for locales that have the wrong phone number.
- Addresses an issue that causes a device to incorrectly report as non-compliant with Conditional Access due to antivirus or firewall configuration.
- Addresses an issue that stops printing or prints the wrong output when printing via USB in Windows 10, version 2004 or later.
- Addresses an issue that affects the Remote Desktop screen in some cases when using Advanced Video Coding (AVC) software encoding.
- Addresses an issue that prevents certain surround sounds from playing in Microsoft Edge.
- Solves a deadlock in vpnike.dll and rasmans.dll.
- Addresses an issue that affects the Fast Identity Online 2.0 (FIDO2) credential provider and prevents the PIN entry box from displaying.
- Addresses an issue that causes Windows to stop working and generates the “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL” error.
- Addresses an issue that could cause the Get-TPM PowerShell command fails when trying to report Trusted Platform Module (TPM) information. The command fails with error “0x80090011 Microsoft.Tpm.Commands.TpmWmiException,Microsoft.Tpm.Commands.GetTpmCommand”.
- Addresses an issue that prevents the AltGr key from working if a remote desktop client is running or if RemoteApp has been disconnected.
Adds a new feature that provides direct access to select your Microsoft Edge profiles from news and interests. You can also access Microsoft Edge directly from the news and interests of the same corresponding profile.
Adds a new feature called Sync your settings for users migrating to Windows 11, out-of-box. You’ll use Sync Your Settings to automatically back up a list of your apps to your Microsoft account. Then you can quickly restore those apps to a Windows 11 stock release device. This new feature will be rolling out over the next few weeks.
- Addresses an issue that causes working Bluetooth devices to stop working when you try to connect to a non-working Bluetooth device.
- Fixes an issue that causes lsass.exe to stop working and the device restarts. This problem occurs when you query the Windows NT Directory Services (NTDS) counters after stopping the NTDS service.
- Addresses an issue that fails to apply the “Do not allow compression on all NTFS volumes” Group Policy Object (GPO) in some cases.
- Addresses an issue that prevents Robocopy from retrying the file copy process.
- Addresses an issue that may occur when you enable Detailed Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) audit logging and an invalid parameter is saved. Therefore, event 207 is logged, indicating that an audit log write failure has occurred.
- Fixes a memory leak that occurs when calling WinVerifyTrust(). This issue occurs if verification fails for the first signature of a file that has multiple signatures.
If you have installed previous updates, only the new patches contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
KB5009596 download link: