LMMS for PC (also called Linux MultiMedia Studio) is a powerful open-source digital audio workstation that lets you compose, edit, and mix music on your computer. It includes all the tools you need to make your creations and then export the results to the digital audio formats you want. We’ll tell you everything you need to know about this free software that we provide so you can try it out.
What is LMMS?
LMMS is an open-source, cross-platform and completely free digital audio workstation. This program has been improved for more than 15 years and offers many professional tools for recording, mixing, editing and exporting digital audio. Of course, you can also compose your music by connecting a MIDI controller and using the various musical instruments included in the software.
- Compatibility: LMMS supports many formats so you can export and import many different file extensions including wav, .ogg, .aiff, .flac, and even MIDI.
- Sound editing: Thanks to the sound sequencer interface, you’ll get used to manipulating loops and other automation quite quickly when composing. You will find it very useful and easy to use when creating repetitive and complex tracks.
- Musical instruments: A crazy list of tools is what you will get in LMMS. Indeed, it embeds 16 synthesizers, including emulators of the famous Roland TB-303, Commodore 64, NES, GameBoy, and others from YAMAHA. Additionally, it also includes the open-source synthesizer called ZynAddSubFx, an instrument that works with additive and subtractive synthesis, Fourier transform, and other synthesis methods. Additionally, LMMS supports 64-bit VST instruments which allow you to add more and more instruments from other sources. Be curious and you will understand that there is no limit to all the incredible possibilities you will discover there.
- Effects: LMMS provides all the essential effects you need to get great results, including compressor, limiter, delay, reverb, distortion, bass booster, and more. You’ll find remarkably accurate ones like parametric and graphic EQs. Finally, you will also be able to extend LMMS as it supports VST and LADSPA plugins.
LMMS is free to download and install.
If you want to try other free options without sacrificing pro-quality results, you can download FL Studio 20.
- Operating system: Windows 7 or higher 64-bit
- Processor: 1.5 GHz x86, x86_64 or ARM processor with 2 cores
- Memory: 1 GB RAM
- Storage: 100 MB of free space