Google Meet is one of the most popular video conferencing tools today. Google’s meeting app became popular in 2020 during the Covid-19 pandemic when working from home was the new normal. Google Meet is available on all platforms, including mobile and desktop. On mobile phones, you can download it through Google Play Store or App Store. However, for Windows PCs or Macbooks, there is no dedicated app. Let’s find out how you can download the Google Meet app on your computer using the Progressive Web Apps feature.
Download Google Meet on Windows PC or Mac
As I mentioned above, there is no standalone Google Meet app for the web interface, so we will be using Google’s Progressive Web Apps (PWA) feature which allows us to use any any webpage or website as an app on any device without actually installing the app.
PWA support for Google Meet is available for Windows, macOS, Chrome OS, and Linux. Read on to find out how you can install it on your laptop.
Also, read | Top 10 Popular Android Apps You Can Use Without Installing
Use the Progressive Web App
To install the Google Meet PWA, a machine must be running Google Chrome v73 and above. Follow the steps below on your Windows PC, using Chrome as your browser:
1. On your PC’s Chrome browser, navigate to meet.google.com.
2. Here in the address bar, click on the little download icon.
3. Select “Install” from the context menu.
4. You will see a new Google Meet shortcut on your desktop which can open your meeting page instantly, where you can start a new meeting or join one.
Google Meet is also in your PC’s apps list and you can find it from the Start menu. Moreover, this PWA will have the same functionality as Google Meet, and it will automatically update when your Chrome receives updates.
Create a shortcut for Meet
If you can’t create a PWA or don’t want to, you can simply create a shortcut for the Google Meet homepage on your desktop. Here’s how:
1. Go to meet.google.com on your PC.
2. Click on the three dots at the top right of the browser below the close button.
3. In the menu, select “More tools” and then click on “Create shortcut”.
4. In the pop-up window, select “Create”, and that’s it.
You can also choose the “open as a window” option; otherwise, it will open as a Progressive Web App, just like the method above.
So here is how you can download Google Meet app on your Windows PC or Macbook. For more tech tips, follow us on Twitter!
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or tips and tricks, smartphone and gadget reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Groupor for the latest review videos, subscribe GadgetsToUse YouTube channel.